Selected recent/current academic activities
Former Students, student visitors and post-docs:
- Ebru Arisoy, visiting student, March-Dec. 2007. Went to IBM after PhD. Now Assistant Professor at MEF University, Istanbul.
- Russ Beckley, PhD student, 2010-2015. Now at Ernst & Young.
- Steven Bedrick, post-doc (jointly advised with Richard Sproat), Feb. 2011 - Feb. 2013. Now Associate Professor at OHSU.
- Nathan Bodenstab, Ph.D. 2012. Now Research Scientist Manager at Nuance.
- Yongshun Chen, MS, 2011.
- Erinç Dikici, visiting student from Bogazici University, Oct.2012 - Jan.2013. Now Speech Scientist at SAIL LABS Technology, Vienna.
- Aaron Dunlop, Ph.D. 2014. Research Scientist at Intel, 2014-2016. Now Senior Research Scientist at Nuance.
- Seeger Fisher, PhD student, 2004-2011.
- Andrew Fowler, Ph.D. 2020 (advised by Steven Bedrick). Software Engineer at Google, 2015-2018. Now Senior Researcher at Nuance.
- Kristy Hollingshead, Ph.D. 2010. Post-doc at UMD, 2010-2012. At DoD, 2012-2014. Research Scientist at Florida Institute for
Human & Machine Cognition (IHMC) 2014-2019.
Now Data Scientist at Altamira Technologies Corporation
- Youngjun Kim, MS 2008. Became PhD student at University of Utah with Ellen Riloff, now a post-doc at the Medical University of South Carolina.
- Meg Mitchell, regular visiting student 2010-2012, while a Ph.D. student at University of Aberdeen. Post-doc at JHU CoE, 2012-13.
Researcher at Microsoft Research, 2013-2016. Now Senior Research Scientist at Google.
- Christian Monson, post-doc, Dec. 2008 - Nov. 2010. Research Scientist at Nuance 2010-2013. Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon 2013-2018.
Now Speech Engineer at DefinedCrowd Corp.
- Eric Morley, PhD 2016. Senior Data Scientist at RedOwl Analytics, 2015-2016. At Goldman Sachs, 2016-2018. Now Software Engineer at Google.
- Emily T. Prud'hommeaux, Ph.D. 2012. Post-doc at University of Rochester, 2013-14. Assistant Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology, 2014-2018.
Now Assistant Professor at Boston College.
- Mahsa Yarmohammadi, Ph.D. 2016. Software Architect at Intel, 2015-2017. Now post-doc at Johns Hopkins University.
Selected previous academic activities
- Action editor (like an area chair) for the Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics from 2012-2018.
- Spent a week in summer, 2016, at JHU working with a team investigating automated assessment of neurodegenerative disorders.
- Area chair for EMNLP, 2016.
- Helped found SIG-SLPAT, the ACL and ISCA Special Interest Group on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies.
- Co-guest editor of a 2013 special issue of the journal Computer Speech and Language on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies.
- Co-organized the Third Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies (SLPAT), held in Montreal following NAACL-HLT in June, 2012.
- Co-organized the First Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies (SLPAT), held in Los Angeles following NAACL-HLT in June, 2010.
- Co-organized the CHI 2012 Workshop on Designing and Evaluating Text Entry Methods at CHI in Austin, TX, May, 2012.
- While on sabbatical, spent September, 2011, in Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen, Scotland, as part of a SICSA visiting fellowship. Also visited University of Cambridge first week of October.
- Team leader for project at 2011 CLSP summer workshop at JHU
- Local arrangements chair of ACL-HLT 2011 in Portland, June, 2011
- Participated in JHU Summer Workshop, 2005.
Computational characterization of language use in autism spectrum disorder, NIH, NIDCD Grant (PI Sproat), 2011-2016.
Semi-Supervised Discriminative Training of Language Models, NSF (IIS) RI Grant, 2010-2013, Collaborative with JHU
Translational refinement of adaptive communication system for locked-in patients, NIH, NIDCD Grant (PI Fried-Oken), 2009-2014
Oregon Public Broadcasting story from ACL-HLT 2011 demo session here.
Efficient hidden structure annotation via structural multiple-sequence alignments, NSF (IIS) RI Grant, 2008-2011
DHB: Measuring Spoken Language Variability in Elderly Individuals, NSF (BCS) HSD Grant, 2008-2011
Discriminative Syntactic Language Modeling: Automatic Feature Selection and Efficient Annotation, NSF (IIS) Career Grant, 2005-2010
- Generating output for presentation in response to user interface input, where the input and/or the output include chatspeak.
(with Nicole Quah, Bryan Horling, Maryam Garrett and Richard Sproat). U.S. Patent Number 10,268,683.
- Enhanced maximum entropy models.
(with Fadi Biadsy). U.S. Patent Number 9,412,365.
- System and method for using meta-data dependent language modeling for automatic speech recognition
(with Michiel Bacchiani).
U.S. Patent Number 7,752,046.
- System and method of using meta-data in speech processing
(with Michiel Bacchiani, Sameer Maskey and Richard Sproat).
U.S. Patent Number 7,996,224.